Monday, November 1, 2010

Week Recap

This past week was a week of ups and downs. I had to go in this past Monday to prep for the Las Vegas event, while the prepping wasn't bad it was just brunoise a bunch of shallots and apples it was time consuming and since it was my usual day off I was kind of groggy. I only worked 3.5 hours and then got home and cooked a dinner party for my flatmate Paul and his friends. It seemed like everyone loved the Pork roast, roasted beets and butternut squash.
Tuesday,Wednesday, Thursday were all busy days at work prepping for the Vegas event and also then prepping for the Campbells soup dinner while working my station.
Friday morning Chef Trotter left with a few people to work the Vegas event with such chefs as Wolfgang Puck, Batali, Emeril, and Todd English. One of the cooks that went said it was painful to work that event because Chef Trotter doesn't allow squeeze bottles of any kind for saucing so they had to use spoons and the other cooks didn't know how to do that.
Saturday was a fun day, I got to come with a kids menu for a wedding that was happening on the patio of the restaurant. The menu for the kids was Angel Hair Pasta I had just made with fresh pasta and chives and butter. The next item for the kids was Poularde Chicken tenders with a honey mustard and ketchup I made. The final kids menu item was Wood grilled pizza topped with acorn squash puree, caramelized onions and fresh bail and goat cheese. The kids loved everything. Saturday I was also the sous chef for a 50th wedding anniversary party. The party was for a family of 7 and it was in there huge house. The kitchen had a viking range top and everything was state of the art. We did 8 courses and everybody was just so nice and gracious for having us in there house.
Sunday- Got to sleep in till around 11 and then head into work and get things packed for campbells dinner, we all took taxi's down to the Chicago Theatre and set up the event, the tables the theatre gave us were so low they were hitting my knees which to some people are fine, but to me I had to keep on bending down. Since it was a huge event we had to hire out servers and cooks to help with keeping things nice and tight. After the lobster course plate up we were cleaning up the table when a cook was sitting down on the chair and chef Trotter saw that and just flipped out on this guy and threw stuff at him and told him to f off. Chef Trotter was in rare form, while I was saucing a plate he came up to me and said " Bill why didn't you ask what I was going to be for Halloween?" He said it such a serious condescending voice, so then I asked him and he said " I am a chef" and just laughed and put his hand on my shoulder. The entire event went great and the menu was executed to perfection by us.
After working seven days last week I had over 100 hours and I am so exhausted and tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment