Monday, October 18, 2010

Chef Matthias quits Charlie Trotters

http://chicago.eater.com/archives/2010/10/08/breaking-chef-de-cuisine-matthias-merges-leaving-trotters.php

Chef Matthias Merges had worked at Charlie Trotters for 14 years and was instrumental in helping young chefs develop, the ones I can think of off the top of my head are Grahm Elliot, Homaro Cantu from Moto, Grant Achatz and so many more.

Chef Matthias was the chef I was in contact with from the start, he always treated me with respect and was willing to teach me and answer questions I had for him.

Chef Matthias was doing all the cooking while Chef Trotter was meeting customers and such. He is the one that turned Trotters into the powerhouse.

The only way I had heard he quit was thru that article, no mention of him quitting at work or a staff meeting to tell everyone. All of us speculated that he had quit when he hadn't come back after going to the California event. Plus I answer the kitchen phone at work and the chef on the other line stated that "will you guys miss chef Matthias when he leaves" I was like WTF?

Well Chef Matthias told me Saturday at the Store that he is opening up a new restaurant in the spring that will serve contemporary American classics.

Best of Luck to him!

No comments:

Post a Comment