Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Time Flew by in Boston

Wow, the twelve weeks I was up in Newburyport, MA flew by. A few things to talk about, Boston does have some good Italian restaurants, the bad thing is most of them especially in the north end only accept Cash, this a downer considering a meal would typically cost between 30-50 dollars. If one wanted the best canoli in the east coast, stop by Mikes Pastry, granted there will be at least a thirty minute wait for a canoli, but it is worth it. Side Note: They also only accept cash.
I really bonded with my housemates, even though they were a bit crazy and out of whack, but that makes for fun times at the house, lets just say there was never a dull moment at the house. Julia the lady I rented the room from has a son Austin and he is 11 years old. When I first moved into the house he weighed 165 lbs, by the time I left he weighed 130. I was so proud of this. Austin would cook for himself in the morning and since he really didn't know what to cook and even what was healthy for him he usually made chicken fingers, or a quesdilla. After noticing this, I started to show him how to cook for himself in the morning, I also had his mom buy yogurt, and oatmeal and fresh fruit. He really didn't like the change at first, but then he was starting to make his own breakfast and also starting to eat healthier for dinner. I will post more on Austin in another post.
I was working for a food company, Greencore, they are based out of the UK, and the plant I worked at was there first one in the US. I was working as NPD Intern, which means I was researching and developing new recipes or changing new ones for the better with help from the product development chef. I got to work on some big accounts and my one project gets launched in September, I am looking forward to seeing my products at Wal-Mart.
Since I had a normal job, I had the weekends to explore around Boston and such, I went on the freedom trail once it was neat, I also got to explore Salem home of the famous Salem witch Trials and also home to the house of the seven gables author and the actual house he wrote the book on. I got to explore New Hampshire, and Maine also. More will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment